Welcome to Episode 11 of Coffee Brewmance. Zane was man alone with this one. Enjoy the episode, remember it is recorded in town at Origin so there is a little background noise, some of these noises are reduced but not removed.
Some of things covered:
- Stealing coffee out of cooling trays, is it guilt free, or quality control?
- Why tiled fermentation tanks are preferred.
- Quick fire questions:
- When would he drink an Americano.
- SL28 or Geisha?
- African or South American?
- Federer or Clooney?
- Flat or conical?
- Do you need to be precise when manual brewing?
- Brewing Parameters Mike finds important?
- Grind size
- What can a home brewer play with?
- Which acids are exposed at grind size and temp?
- Paper filter method suits some types of coffees with sediment in oil like wet processed coffees.
- And metal filters suits others – like central, South American and Asia specific coffees.
- What does SL stand for when it is not at the back of a car?
- What about variety which is best to use with what brew method?
- Cup of Excellence – what is it?
- Experience of being a guest judge at such an event.
- And the effect it has on the producers.
- When Mike felt like a machine…
- What to do if you have a caffeine overdose?
- Giants in Africa?
- Humbling experiences in coffee.
- Roasting at origin.
- How Mike would design a cupping sheet – a sample is MikesCuppingFormOnePage– thanks Mike ?
- Perspective on Price vs Quality and how to disseminate that info.
- How to drive quality coffee in South Africa
The sound sometimes had glitches which we have tried to fix. There are times when background noise does get a bit imposing sometimes, but was recorded in a Origin that is in town.
Coffee Research : coffeeresearch.org/science/sourmain.htm.